Nova Pioneer is looking for superstar School Matrons (2) to play a critical role in ensuring that boarding standards are well maintained and support is rendered to the Dean of Residential Life to ensure a world-class student experience.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country. This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
ABOUT NOVA PIONEER
In 2014 we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. This year we will be operating six schools—two in Nairobi and four in Johannesburg—and gearing up for rapid growth, initially across East and Southern Africa and eventually across West Africa as well. Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
We have a unique, entrepreneurial work environment with a strong team culture that is designed to reinforce our vision. The core elements of our culture include:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Help students settle into school life by providing a sympathetic ear and support
- Work with members of residential team to help students enjoy school life and to achieve their potential
- Take responsibility with other members of residential team for supervising students, making sure they are clean and well behaved when they are not in class
- Maintain close liaison with the Nurse at all times concerning students, medical protocols and provision.
Observe and Supervise
- Work closely with the Counsellor in monitoring the development of students paying respect to the sensitivity of age-appropriate behaviour
- Support with ensuring student wellness in respect of emerging issues
- Tasks in the dorm
- Be present in the dorm on nominated hours
- Supervise students when they are present in the dorm
- Check clearness of the dorm rooms
- Supervise hygiene practices and cleanliness (including appearance) of students
- Supervise (official laundry services) and students own laundry activities
- Guide students in cleaning clothes and dorm room
- Ensure that dorms are used for the right purpose
- Report repairs required in the house maintenance log for onward transmission to the School Operations office (Ops).
- Participate in a programme of continual risk assessment within the house as required by Health and Safety guidelines
- Monitor standards achieved by cleaners and other support agencies within the Boarding House and report on any deficiencies to Operations
- Assist House staff and teachers in facilitating the learning and practice of good manners, etiquette and courtesy.
- Set an exemplary personal standard of dress, behaviour and personal hygiene.
- Undertake such other duties as the Dean of Residential Life may reasonably require
- Participate in the personal development training for residential staff.
- Participate in social events: leaving and reporting day, church and group talks
- The Matron has normal working hours which include visiting hours on weekdays and over the weekend.
- You love working with teenagers and have previously engaged with teen and youth programmes to help them develop holistically;
- Friendly and loving, sensitive and responsive for the needs of teenagers
- Patient, flexible and open minded with excellent communication and listening skills
- Honest and trustful
- Discreet and adhere to confidentiality
- Highly motivated to support teenagers in their development, consistent, firm but fair
- Knowledge, affinity with positive parenting, rewarding and child participation
- Ready to learn and a great team player
EXPERIENCES THAT COUNT
- You have worked with schoolchildren, teenagers in a child related environment (school, child care, other institution with children like social work, healthcare, children's home)
- You have worked in a busy and multi tasked organization for over 2 years
- You have an awareness, understanding, and experience of issues relating to safeguarding the health, welfare, and safety of children
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews