Nova Pioneer is looking for an outstanding professional who will serve as the organization’s talent development leader and manage all aspects of our people functions throughout East Africa. This is an ideal opportunity for a results-oriented, passionate talent professional who has a broad-based understanding of the various elements required to build a world-class systems for attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people.
ABOUT NOVA PIONEER
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 6 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Nova Pioneer we believe that attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people is at the heart of achieving our vision. We aim to build our organisation into one of the best environments to work and grow as a professional across the continent and world: we can only grow as quickly as we find and develop fantastic talent. This puts the talent function at the heart of our organisation and this leadership position represents an extraordinary opportunity to shape the trajectory of the organization and its impact on education across the continent.
The Director will lead this priority across East Africa, building and leading a team of strong talent professionals and working closely with the Global Head of Talent to establish and refine systems that we will use across the continent.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Design, lead and implement a differentiated professional development program for staff across East Africa, including a robust program to develop emerging leaders and managers;
- Manage and continuously refine all elements of the annual performance management process including: education and support to all levels of management regarding goal setting, feedback, coaching, appropriate documentation, and appropriate actions for performance issues
- Support and develop all departmental and school leaders to ensure they are well equipped to consistently deliver strong employee development and performance management
- Plan and facilitate world class professional development programs to large and small audiences
- Support the application and continuous refinement of our competency framework, the backbone of our professional growth system, and establish the most efficacious ways to evaluate our staff’s growth and development
- Build and manage a strong recruitment team that is able to efficiently review thousands of candidates every year and identify exceptional individuals to fill hundreds of critical roles as the organization grows rapidly;
- Develop strategic activities to identify and attract top candidates to Nova Pioneer such as events, social media engagement, and partnerships with universities and other major institutions;
- Manage and continuously refine strong recruitment systems that smoothly move candidates through a rigorous assessment process, including training and supporting hiring managers across the organization;
- Develop and manage systems for cultivating great individuals who are not immediate candidates but who may be strong members of the Nova Pioneer family in the future
- Build and manage our Talent Support (Human Resources) function and create systems and processes that will enhance and strengthen our team’s work in all areas of HR administration and systems;
- Lead employee relations, including serving as a resource for staff, constantly tracking staff culture, engagement, and satisfaction, and advising the management team on appropriate actions to improve staff culture;
- Manage and constantly analyze and refine all compensation and benefits policies for the organization’s work in the region;
- Manage to ensure maintain administrative excellence across all HR systems and processes;
Team and Culture Leadership
- Build and lead a team to consistently meet the ambitious talent-related goals of rapidly-growing organization;
- Build an exceptional culture within your team aligned to the organization’s aspirations in which individuals constantly push to meet High Expectations and there are high degrees of collaboration and joy in working together;
- Constantly track the health of the overall organization culture in East Africa and work closely with the Managing Director and other senior managers to identify additional ways of improving culture;
- Design and lead initiatives to strengthen organizational culture, including coaching and supporting managers to implement culture-related activities
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- 8+ years of experience in results-oriented, fast-paced environments. Some experience working on modern, progressive human resources/talent experience is required. Experience in the education sector is plus but not required;
- Exceptional interpersonal and people management skills – your colleagues and teams love working with you and you are able to handle a wide range of personalities and people situations;
- Experience driving talent planning efforts within an organization with a focus on systematic people development;
- Excellent project management and ability to prioritize and effectively manage time in a complex, fast-moving environment;
- You are a creative, out of the box thinker, strategist and problem solver
- You build strong relationships with an ability to inspire and motivate others
- You hold high expectations for all people and believe in their ability to reach them
- You strive for excellence in every detail of your work and inspire and challenge everyone around you to do the same
- You take pleasure in excellence more than credit or status
- Our culture resonates deeply with your values—and in particular, you are excited to challenge yourself by taking risks and getting more feedback than you’ve ever received before
HOW TO APPLY
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then apply now!
To apply, please complete the form on the right hand side of this page. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.
WORKING AT NOVA PIONEER
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than at most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing professional development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning. Read more about our culture principles here.