Pioneer Academies is looking for a superstar Brand & Admissions Manager to lead a vibrant and talented team to build our brand across the region, deliver an exceptional parent experience, and achieve our annual admissions targets. This is an opportunity to create a transformative brand with the future of Africa’s youth at stake.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country. This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
ABOUT PIONEER ACADEMIES
In 2014 we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. This year we will be operating six schools—two in Nairobi and four in Johannesburg—and gearing up for rapid growth, initially across East and Southern Africa and eventually across West Africa as well. Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Africa has the fastest-growing youth population in the world and a rapidly expanding middle class, but its education systems are not ready to unleash what could be the transformative generation of talent that permanently changes the face of the continent. We aspire to be among the first to show at scale that this is possible.
We have a unique, entrepreneurial work environment with a strong team culture that is designed to reinforce our vision. The core elements of our culture include:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will lead vibrant and talented school-based teams and the external relations team to achieve their annual enrolment and admissions targets. You will also advise teams on the best marketing strategies to drive enrollments in the various communities. The role is based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Your key responsibilities will be:
Admissions Process Strategy
- Develop and execute a comprehensive admissions strategy across the network of schools
- Build a thorough understanding of how parents in our target demographic think about school choice and properly segment and customize based on their perceptions, preferences and decision-making criteria
- Build an admissions pipeline that takes parents through a compelling, structured journey as they get exposed to our schools and make their decision
- Develop methodologies to meticulously track ROI of our admissions initiatives and activations and make data-driven decisions to positively impact enrollment
Brand-Building & Event Planning
- Design and lead advertising brand-building strategies across traditional and digital channels
- Ensure consistency and quality of positioning, messaging, and all materials across brand-building activities
- Drive the planning and execution of Open Days and other key events, and create a consistent, compelling experience of our brand at each event
Team Building & Coaching
- Lead Brand & Admissions Associates across our schools in South Africa,which you will have the responsibly of coaching and growing as we expand rapidly
- Closely support each team member in ensuring daily prioritization and execution of tasks
- You have at least 5+ years experience building and managing important relationships in marketing, communications and/or business development positions.
- You are a great communicator: You are able to provide a clear and persuasive pitch to anyone and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You are results driven: You are goal oriented, move fast and take ownership of work.
- You have strong skills working with data: You know how to structure data in a compelling way, analyze data to pull out key insights and trends, and make data-driven decisions
- You have strong project management skills: You are able to juggle multiple tasks, provide support to junior level staff and meet deadlines and targets
- You are entrepreneurial and empathetic. You are able to understand the various Pioneer Academies’ stakeholders and think creatively about how to effectively communicate to them.
- You are widely recognized as a highly effective teacher and can model what great, inquiry-based teaching looks like
- You have a track record of improving other people’s performance through coaching and build uncommonly strong relationships
- You have the ability to thrive in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback
Does working at Pioneer Academies excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.